Settling in Monaco

Becoming a resident

Fulfilling the requirements

Anyone who is more than 16 years of age and wishes to reside in Monaco for more than three months in a year, must apply for a residence permit issued by the Monégasque authorities, according to the Convention Franco-Monégasque de Voisinage of 18 May 1963 and the 

European Economic Area Nationals (EEA Nationals):
An identity card or valid passport is sufficient. No visa is required.
Non-European Economic Area Nationals (Non-EEA Nationals):
Before making any application to the Principality, you must apply for a long-term visa for Monaco, issued by the French authorities. Please note that minors also require a visa.
Contact the French Consulate in your country of residence. The procedures to follow are different depending on your nationality and the country you live in.

In all cases, you must:

  • Prove that you have accommodation in Monaco that is of sufficient size for the household
  • Guarantee that you have sufficient financial resources:
    • Have an employment contract
    • Or be the manager or director of a company, or self-employed, or in the process of starting up a business
    • Or be supported by a third party
    • Or have sufficient savings
  • Prove that you are of good character (criminal records information or equivalent) 

Get more information

  • La Cellule Attractivité - the main contact for people wishing to set up in the Principality on a private basis - 2, rue du Gabian (5th floor) - (+377) 98 98 98 98
  • The Monaco Business Office - for all enquiries relating to setting up a business in the Principality - 9, rue du Gabian (2nd floor) - (+377) 98 98 00
    (+377) 98 98 98 98 -
  • Police Department - Administrative Police Division - Residency responsible for Residence Permit applications  - 3, rue Louis Notari  98000 Monaco - (+377) 93 15 30

Obtaining a residence permit

Applications for residence permits are dealt with by the Residency, Certifications and Lost-and-Found Section of the Police Department. The application process varies depending on the plans and the background of the applicant.

Please note that residence permits are not issued to minors under the age of 16. However, a Foreign Young Person’s Travel Document can be issued to enable them to travel abroad.

Access all information and services on the Public Service section of theh Prince’s Government website: